Become an au pair in America
Travel and live in the USA. Combine your love for kids with cultural exchange, learning, friendship and travel. Earn over $10,000 through your year as an au pair with flight, meals and accommodation included!
Discover the USA as an au pair in America
This is a unique opportunity to travel in the United States and meet new people from all over the world.
Add valuable international experience to your CV, explore new surroundings and learn about the United States! This program also allows you to contribute to the care and education of children within a welcoming home from home family environment.
You'll enjoy a free flight to and from the States along with a minimum weekly stipend, private room and meals provided. What's more, you’ll also have the opportunity to spend time studying at an American University or College.
Benefits for the au pair America program
- Free return flight to the United States, connecting flights to your host family are also included
- Travel and accident insurance for 12 months provided
- Au Pair Academy childcare training and introduction to America
- Private bedroom in your host family's house
- Sponsorship of J-1 Visa
- Explore the USA with 30 days of travel time at the end of your program
- 1 1/2 free days per week
- 10 days of paid vacation during your 12 month program
- Up to $500 USD tuition contribution so that you can attend college classes (you must complete 6 credits or equivalent). Take a local course in whatever interests you!
- Weekly stipend (minimum $195.75) during your year in the States
- 24 hour emergency line and continuous support from your local Au Pair Care director
- Opportunity to extend your placement for a further 6, 9 or 12 months
- Learn a new skill. Program includes a 120 hour Professional TEFL Course
- Start any month
Your role and responsibilities as an au pair
Being an Au pair in the USA offers an amazing opportunity to experience an exciting new culture, meet people from all of the world not to mention gain a new 'home from home' family on the other side of the world! You'll also earn a monthly stipend by providing care for children within a safe and nurturing environment.
Some of your main responsibilities will be to:
- Teach your culture and entertain children
- Prepare meals for children and clear up after mealtime
- Dress and bath the children
- Pack lunches, take the kids to school and help with homework
- Take children to the park, playground or other fun activities
- Help out with child-related chores such as kids laundry and helping keep children's rooms tidy
How to become an au pair
You can be winging your way to the USA before you know it! The process follows 4 easy steps:
Register for more details
Complete your online profile and discuss your application with a Local Rep
Interview with American host families - find a match you are comfortable with
Pick your arrival date, pack your bags and travel to the USA for the experience of a lifetime
Requirements and Qualifications to become an au pair
Are you ready to spend one year in USA as part of this amazing cultural exchange opportunity? We are excited to meet you and get you started on your journey!Please take note of the following US Department of State requirements to join the au pair program.
- Previous childcare experience (minimum 300 hours). Au pairs wishing to be placed with a family who has a child under the age of two must have at least 200 hours childcare experience with under two year olds (from the total of 300)
- English language proficiency
- Be aged between 18 - 26
- Hold a driver's license
- Be available for a 12 month placement
- Secondary (High School) graduate
- Be in good health
- No criminal record
Program costs and inclusions at a glance
The total package fee is £449.
What your fee covers:
- Round-trip Air-ticket
- Accommodation and meals with host family
- Training and orientation
- In country travel to your host family
- Online matching system access
- Travel and medical insurance
- USD500 education allowance
- Visa application assistance
- Access to advice and support network
- SEVIS Visa fee
What you need to budget for
- Criminal record check £65
- Medical report, approximately £30 from your local GP
- J1 Visa fee (payable to the US Embassy) £100
- Spending money for when you arrive until payment of first stipend (how much depends on your lifestyle!)
An au pair travels internationally to live with a host family. An au pair provides live-in care for the host family and would typically be aged between 18 - 26.
Right now, we are welcoming au pairs from all over the world. We currently have au pairs from over 40 countries participating in this program.
This can be a fantastic way to experience life in the USA as a caregiver. Au pairs can get some valuable international experience on their CVs and develop both personally and professionally. The highlight for most au pairs is living with a USA host family who quickly become like a second family for participants. You'll also have an extra 30 days on your visa at the end of your stay to travel and see America!
We are delighted that AuPairCare meets US Department of State Designation and associated strict government compliance criteria to give you peace of mind that you are working with an officially recognized program.
TEFL UK will assist your application through each step. Our friendly advisors provide support with paperwork, including referencing guidacnce and interview. The first step is to register your interest through the Apply Now form on this page.
A Department of State requirement is that any au pair candidate must be between 18 and 26 years old when they arrive to the USA, So, if you arrive prior to your 27th birthday, you are eligible to join or extend your program.
Yes, this is true. Many of the host families will rely on the au pair to pick up their kids or take them to places. So, a driver's license is required for joining this program.
At the heart of this program is a mutual match process. It is our goal for both you and your host family to have a wonderful placement experience. As such, if you feel that a host family is not going to be the right fit, you can continue interviewing with other host families until you are happy.
Yes you will receive help with the visa. AuPairCare is officially designated by the US Department of State to sponsor your J-1Visa. Once your placement is confirmed and the program fee is paid, you will receive your official documents by mail for the USA J-1 Visa application.
It is a government requirement that au pairs pay taxes. Please see the IRS website for more information.
A US Department of State requirement for this program is that all au pairs must complete 6 semester hours of academic credit through a regulated post secondary institute. Your host family will support this requirement with a contribution of up to $500 towards your academic course work. You'll require a signed form and transcript on completion or a headed letter from your school confirming that you've completed the required number of credits.
Host families are carefully screened in order to provide a positive cultural exchange for all participants. You'll be welcomed as a family member and your host children will see you as an older sibling. You'll only work on child-related tasks and not be required to work more than 45 hours per week.
Simply fill out this form and we'll get straight back to you. If you have any questions you can always email us at [email protected]